Thursday, November 29, 2018

Exceptionally Ordinary Luna Lovegood Cake

Luna Lovegood! 
She's one of the most loved Harry Potter characters undoubtedly. Her delusional, insane self is a refreshing experience amidst the sinister happenings of the storyline. We love her craziness. I decided to make my first fondant covered cake inspired by her. Each year, I do a cake gig on Sara's birthday (of course she assists me!). And this year I decided to go down the tough route --- the fondant! I had never worked with fondant before and I was getting the creeps on wanting to attempt it this year.
Let's face it --- I am no cake artist and I need supervision so I don't end up in a Greek tragedy of epic proportions. So, Sara was supervising. I got an A+ for rolling the fondant out and beginning to top the cake. And then I smoothed the thing too hard and managed to rip somewhere around the lowest most spot where it settled around the cake. It was hid behind a fondant cut-out and bling. 
THE INSPIRATION
I took my inspiration from the Luna Lovegood skater skirt I had bought from Hot Topic recently. It had colorful silhouettes of the thestral, spectrespecs, balloons, flowers, and unicorn on a black background. Black is what I chose the fondant cover of the cake to be!
INSIDE THE CAKE
Whatever I do I never stay simple. The insanity of my life! The vanilla cake comes out white and I was not too cool about that. I wanted unicorn and Luna Lovegood going on inside as well. It is always a treat when you cut a slice out and woot! it turns out to be a color blast! So, I dyed portions of cake batter purple, pink, and yellow and remixed it before it went in to bake. The result was  gorgeous tri-color marbled effect complimenting the Luna Lovegood theme. 
FONDANT CUT-OUTS
The most delicate task was cutting out fondant shapes. I used a special X-ACTO zirconium knife to cut the paper shapes and then the same blade to cut the fondant. It works beautifully! The unicorn and thestral were the most time consuming accents. Then I had a main center accent - the Spectrespecs - and other fillers that went with the theme: stars, balloons, flowers. Clouds and stars were added to the magic and the fondant was impressioned with a spirals roller. 
Enjoy the videos of the cake spin and the making! 
ABBie FILMS 🎈🦄🎂 EXCEPTIONALLY ORDINARY LUNA LOVEGOOD CAKE✨🌸🍭

ABBie FILMS 🎈🦄🎂 THE MAKING: EXCEPTIONALLY ORDINARY LUNA LOVEGOOD CAKE✨🌸🍭

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: