Recipe from Middle-earth Recipes (LOTR Scrapbook)
The family loved this delicious, tart tea cake. I did not glaze it to keep the calories under control. The lemony flavor was so good and the sour sweet of the cranberries was a perfect combination.
zest of one lemon (or orange if you prefer) - I used lemon
3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 1/4 c. flour (any soft flour will do) I used all-purpose
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. dried cranberries or currents - I used cranberries
juice of one lemon (orange) - I used lemon
- Cream together butter, sugar and zest.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add dry ingredients and lemon(or orange...) juice and mix just until combined.
- Spoon into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 min. or until golden. It took me an additional 12 min.
- Wrap and store overnight before serving to Gandalf for Afternoon Tea.
-Note- To impress the Wizard (and the Dwarves...), glaze with a mixture of half a lemon(not orange) and 1/2 c. of icing sugar. Pour over the loaf before hiding in the refrigerator overnight. Perfect for unexpected parties.
Enjoy some photos please. They're courtesy of my talented sister Sara.