Friday, July 26, 2013

Chocolate Fudge Brownies Debut


I am no baker, but I am the sidekick to a very classic, talented baker sister. She wishes to train my baking-phobic self as a proper sidekick. Sara has her baking studio called Sara's Baked Creations and she plans to carry that as a career. I was super excited about baking the chocolate fudge brownies under her supervision. She did not entirely approve because I was using the Pillsbury mix - tada! So, no rocket science there.
Sara has a bake-from-scratch policy. She has never used a baking mix, not even when she baked her first cupcake batch. Bringing the mixes home was a challenge because the Buddy Valastro-inspired sister of mine was giving me the looks. The only reason she let me stock them in her baking pantry was because they were sugar-free and that cannot be baked to perfection with regular ingredients.
I make a whole lot of mess when I bake from scratch - I have attempted twice under Sara's supervision. The Pillsbury mixes make the process super clean. I popped in a beaten egg, added water, added oil, and mixed mixed mixed with a spatula. Sara was advising me how to grease a tin pan, lining it with aluminum foil (not mentioned on the pack), evening out the batter, and putting the contents in to bake.
I am impatient when something's baking away because, unlike cooking, I cannot control what is going on in the oven. I can never be sure if the taste is right, if the batter would stick to the pan, and all that. I was particularly on my nerves with this one because I would have been a major loser had I failed in successfully turning out a batch of instant brownies.
Only recently, Sara had baked some delicious, rich, chocolate brownies with shiny icing that tasted a tinge of coffee! Her latest are the Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Bars which taste heavenly delicious!
Rich, Chocolate Brownies with Shiny Icing
Marbled, Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
After about 25 minutes of hovering outside the oven, the cake came out looking smokin' hot. I was way too impatient to cut it up into brownies. Sara intervened, of course, and guided me into setting it to cool for a good long time, pulling it out of the pan, cooling some more, cutting it, and scooping it out to set on the platter. 
Mum's on a low GI diet, so these were my treat to her. That was primarily why I was jumping up and down like a chimp. Plus, on the sidenote, I was watching Michael Jackson's This Is It documentary on TV the whole time the cake was baking, so a little Billy Jean sequence was normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: