INGREDIENTS5-6 cups finely grated baby carrots
3 cups milk
1.5 cups sugar (sugar-free option: 35-40 sachets Equal sweetener)
5 to 6 green cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
Handful almonds, softened in boiling water, peeled and chopped in slivers
2 cups Khoya (cheese-like milk solids), crumbled to brittle by hand (low-fat option: skimmed instant dry milk powder)
Generous oil (vegetable/canola for low-fat alternative as compared to ghee)
LET'S GET THIS DESSERT GOING!
- In a big cooking pot, add grated carrots, 3-4 tablespoons oil and saute them for a minute.
- Add 3 cups milk and 3 cups water and set to boil, and then simmer.
- Keep the heat/flame low and continue to cook until carrots have softened and liquid has mostly evaporated. Only as much liquid should remain as is needed for a hand held blender to be used.
- Using a hand held blender, crush the contents well.
- Add cardamoms and cardamom powder and continue cooking.
- As more liquid continues to evaporate, add more oil to keep the sizzle going and continue cooking. Approximately, a cup of oil should be enough all in all.
- Add sugar and cook well. Sugar will leave water and make some shiny syrup, whereas Equal sweetener will show no change.
- Gradually, sprinkle the Khoya, smash it into the mixture not to completely dissolve it but keeping the white crumbles showing.
- As mixture begins to leave oil in the pan and separate from it, become fudge-like, remove from heat and serve in a dish.
- Garnish with sliced almonds.