Wednesday, April 17, 2019

O for Ordinary Wizarding Level

In the 5th year of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, students take the Ordinary Wizarding Level (O.W.L.) exams. When I was reading the book, Order of the Phoenix, I was myself going to appear for my O'Levels (Ordinary Levels) exams.  So I could relate to Ron's panic! I was taking the UK based GCE standardized examinations. That's exactly from where Rowling came up with the wizarding equivalent. She's herself a British writer and O.W.L.s were sort of O'Level equivalent followed by N.E.W.T.s (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test). O'Levels, too, are followed by A'Levels (Advanced). So, I enjoyed comparing my subjects to wizarding subjects. Chemistry was Potions! That's one!
Order of the Phoenix, I believe, is the first heavy duty book in the series. It establishes so many concepts. The Order of the Phoenix was made known, then the new Inquisitor Umbridge at Hogwarts, followed by the announcement of O.W.L.s coming up at the end of the year. Classes, subjects, and studies became pretty detailed as the exam criteria, grading, and preparations were all discussed in detail through the book.
And oh how I LOVED it when Fred and George crashed the exams! I secretly wished someone could have had crashed my O'Levels too. I remember the panic, anxiety, the high levels of stress, and health issues I had just because of being freaked out. Unfortunately, I didn't even have a Calming Draught to come to my aid!

1 comment:

Leave Me Comments: