- Moong dal (lentils), soaked 6 hours, 2 cups
- Fenugreek leaves (dry), 2 tablespoons
- Red chili pods, 2
- Cilantro (coriander) powder, 1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder, 1/2 tablespoon
- Fried onions, 3/4 cup
- Ginger and garlic paste, 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder, 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable (canola) oil, 1/2 cup
1. Add 1 tablespoon ginger and garlic paste, 2 red chili pods, 1 tablespoon coriander (cilantro) powder, 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder, 2 teaspoons turmeric powder, and 1/2 cup vegetable (canola) oil and mix well to a paste in a larke cooking pan.
2. Set on moderate heat and cook until you hear a sizzle.
3. Wash and strain moong lentils and add to the mixture. Mix well and add 2 red chili pods, 3/4 cup fried onions (crushed), and 2 tablespoons dry fenugreek leaves and fry well.
4. Add enough water to the skillet so as to submerge the lentils and have a centimeter of water level above the contents.
5. Bring the lentils to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer and let the mixture cook (closed lid) until all liquid dries. Add 2 teaspoons salt (subject to taste) somewhere in the middle. Note: While lentils are cooking, open the lid occasionally and give the contents a stir to avoid sticking to the base.
6. Garnish with fried onions.