Thursday, April 6, 2017

Shades of Black


I
From the rainbow amiss,
And yet its whole existence.
II
Pitch black - The bottomless depths
Of the angst of a broken heart.
The melancholy of the soul,
An existence torn apart.
III
A beautiful night dressed in velvet
The stars embrace a generous host.
Welcoming their lanterns bright,
The ebony sky raises a toast.
IV
Draped in robes 
Of smokey terror,
Fear!
The black shades of horror.
V
In precious moments of solitude
The poet sets her quill.
Black ink dances on paper,
Timeless ... the world stands still.
Words flow as she narrates
The legends of her strife.
What beauty!
A poet's life!
VI
The Devil laughs
A wicked cackle!
A black sin unravels.
VII
A devout Muslim bows,
A Ka'abah draped in black.

This Spring (2017) I am committing to handwritten snippets of poetry wherever I can find the space to write. Letters and Pieces (2017) is a 30 poem collection written impromptu (according to prompts given by NaPoWriMo.net) throughout the month of April (2017) for National Poetry Writing Month. As days go by, the Index for Letters and Pieces will grow.

Day 06: Today's poem is an enigmatic variation - prompted by NaPoWriMo.net "write a poem that looks at the same thing from various points of view. The most famous poem of this type is probably Wallace Stevens’ “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird”. You don’t need to have thirteen ways of looking at something – just a few will do!"
Shades of Black came to me when I was staring at myself in the mirror while in the bathroom. That explains a lot about me. HAHA. I had gone to use the bathroom of course. It was not a go stand before the mirror spell. Anyway, I ended up putting together a display of some beautiful black pieces I have: a mirror, a masquerade mask, a photo of the Ka'abah, and a paper pouf I made. I have composed the poem with stanzas alternation between negative and positive shades of black. It begins with the rainbow, then comes to angst and melancholy, and so forth. To write, I used a chalk marker and a black board paper! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: