Boiled (or canned) chickpeas, 6 cups
Boiled potatoes, cube cut, 2 medium sized
Fried onions, sliced/crushed, 2 tablespoons
Chopped cilantro, as needed
Tomato puree, 1/2 cup
Ginger and garlic paste, 1 tablespoon
Sliced ginger and garlic, very little (optional)
Red peppercorn, 1
Black peppercorns, 4
Fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Caraway (Nigella/Kalonji) seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon
Cumin powder, 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder, according to taste
Garam masala (allspice) powder, 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon
Nutmeg powder, generous pinch
Mace powder, generous pinch
Turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon
Canola oil, 1/4 cup
- In a large cooking pot add ginger and garlic paste, sliced ginger and garlic (optional), red and black peppercorns, cloves, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and caraway (nigella/kalonji) seeds and set on moderate heat to fry until ginger and garlic paste browns slightly.
- Add potatoes, fried onions, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and nutmeg and mace powders and cook well together, mashing the potatoes.
- Add chickpeas and continue to cook and fry together.
- Add tomato puree and continue cooking for two to three minutes or until oil separates before adding 4 cups of water to simmer cook and make a thick gravy.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with puri.