Photo courtesy: Sara
ABBIE'S CAFE ADVENTURE
Popeye's biscuits always give me an insane wave of nausea. Too much butter? Too much gluten? No clue. It is 100% all-purpose flour that's for sure. I found a low G.I. kind of version in a magazine and I tweaked it a bit to make my own "Bizkits" as I named them fondly. If you are a newbie baker please consult someone who has baked before to help out with the crumbling the butter chunks in the flour part because that's they key to make these fluffy.
Special thanks: Sara's Baked Creations
- White Whole Wheat Flour [King Arthur], 1 cup
- All-Purpose Flour [Safeway], 1 cup
- Salt, 1/2 TSP
- Butter, cold, 1 stick
- Milk, 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder, 4 TSP
- Paprika, optional, 1/4 TSP
- Dried Basil and Parsley, crushed, optional
- Pastry blender
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Sifting Sieve
- Cookie cutter
- LET'S MAKE THOSE BIZKITS!
- Set the baking oven to 425 C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Mix dry ingredients (both flours, salt, and baking powder) together. It is best to coop them out all together in a sifting sieve held over the mixing bowl, and then shaking the sieve, so they are sifted together evenly.
- Chop the butter stick into about 8 parts and avoid touching by hand as much as possible. The heat from the hand melts the butter and we need to keep it cold.
- Add the butter chunks into the dry mix and use the pastry blender to mix the butter into the dry mix until the mixture turn to coarse crumbs.
- Use a spatula to mix in the milk until evenly moistened.
- Use your hands and knead a couple of times until it all comes together into a ball.
- Dust the surface of your working counter with some flour and place the dough ball on it.
- Use your hands to flatten it out to 1 inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out biscuits and put them on the baking tray about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Keep using leftover dough to roll it back up, spread it into 1 inch thickness and re-cutting biscuits.
- Bake for 12 minutes. The biscuits will rise and turn golden brown.
- Remove from the baking tray and set out to cool on cooling racks.
- Serve hot with your favorite sauces and dips.
- Garnish with grated cheese (cheddar/mozzarella), microwave for about 5-8 seconds to melt cheese and serve with a layer of molten cheese.