Saturday, October 26, 2013

Remembering Horror: "What's your favorite scary movie?"

Sitting in an almost dark audio-visual room on a chilly afternoon with more than 32 other girls (classmates) I fell in love with the first ever slasher movie, Scream (1996). I was clueless about the VSL warning, and the tape was censored to eliminate the nonsense. So, what I became a fan of was the story, the performances, and the scares - of course! Particularly amazing was Skeet Ulrich who played Billy Loomis the psycho, scary movies obsessed killer. He turned out to be a phenomenal actor later and he took to action genres mostly. On a side note I loved the Miracles TV series he became part of.
AMC has a Fear Fest going on throughout October. I believe it is until Halloween. So, there are spookies showing up on my TV guide. Other channels have fear fests going on as well. I stopped watching movies from the horror genre a long while ago, but the spirit has rekindled somewhat.
My first ever horror movie was Annihilator (1986) where humanoid killer robots were slaughtering people. One was made to look like a newspaper guy's girlfriend. The lady transformed into a grotesque-looking zombie thing and scared the bejeebers out of my five-year-old self. It was my first time watching men shoot the creature with multiple-rounds guns. I was not able to sleep properly for days. I am not a big fan of humanoid bots and aliens and the sort.
Tremors is another childhood favorite. It was not supposed to be horror but I was petrified with the giant slug-like monsters that bore their way out of the ground to eat people up. It is like when you are a child, everything is scary. I watched the movie again and found myself laughing. I like movies with predators. I loved Jurassic Park for that matter. Godzilla was good too! But the predator needs to be stylish! Blob was a good one!

There are some that I have watched over and over again, like Childsplay. Oh God! Chucky is one seriously evil doll. I remember I had a baby doll whom I had named Laura and she resembled this guy. I was not afraid of the doll, but definitely stowed her away each night into a locked closet. I was absolutely not a fan of the sequels of Childplay movie. I did not like Bride of Chucky at all because the content became inappropriate, sexual in particular. Seed of Chucky did not even get my attention.
The super, super horror ones like The Exorcist, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Grudge, The Ring, and the like where evil spirits wreak horror in haunted properties and through demonic possession were all seriously good scares. They are the types that I watched once, scared the daylights out of myself, and decided not to watch again. Life does not stay the same after watching one of those. I was not able to feel safe with the attic's door or the vents ever since.
I feel that slasher flicks like Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and the like are comparatively more innocent than the demon and spirits movies. You feel disgusted and you feel the dreadful thrill of seeing serious violence, but except temporary nausea you don't feel anything. I never watched the Saw series because the gore never interested me. It was for the sake of adventure that I watched Saw III in cinema and totally wrecked my nerves. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a big scare and I only saw a few clips on YouTube. House of Wax was disturbing as well. I realize I am not a gore person at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: