Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Secret


A silvery voice, a burning stare,
Slice an enigmatic masquerade.
Magic!
Perhaps greater sorcery?
Let madness be, let real fade.
Beyond forever it goes,
A promise sealed with a kiss.
Tis how I save my soul,
Reality dismissed!
Let me dance the enigma away
Let me hold the glittery mask.
I'd be dancing past the hours,
It's a secret can you keep it?
Must I ask?

This Spring (2017) I am committing to handwritten snippets of poetry wherever I can find the space to write. Letters and Pieces (2017) is a 30 poem collection written impromptu (according to prompts given by NaPoWriMo.net) throughout the month of April (2017) for National Poetry Writing Month. As days go by, the Index for Letters and Pieces will grow.

Day 04: Today's poem is an enigmatic variation - prompted by NaPoWriMo.net "One of the most popular British works of classical music is Edward Elgar’s Enigma Variations. The “enigma” of the title is widely believed to be a hidden melody that is not actually played, but which is tucked somehow into the composition through counterpoint. Today I’d like you to take some inspiration from Elgar and write a poem with a secret – in other words, a poem with a word or idea or line that it isn’t expressing directly. The poem should function as a sort of riddle, but not necessarily a riddle of the “Why is a raven like a writing desk?” variety. You could choose a word, for example, “yellow,” and make everything in the poem something yellow, but never actually allude to their color. Or perhaps you could closely describe a famous physical location or person without ever mentioning what or who it actually is."And so I wrote a secret little message. For the photograph and media used: I used the masquerade masks nook of my study.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: