Saturday, September 5, 2015

Abbie's Reel Reviews: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)


"Knock Knock You About To Get Shell Shocked!" BRAAAAAAAAAA!

I grew up watching TMNT and they were definitely my favorite superheroes. I loved them! It was not Clark Kent the Superman, Thundercats, Batman, and not even Captain Planet. TMNT rank sky high on my cool meter for Superheroes. I mean, who saves the day and eats pizza for a happy ending. Cowabunga! Okay, this review has too much of an adrenaline rush. Let's keep talking...
The movie popped up on Netflix and I ignored my initial impression of the TMNT movie being too dark and got to watching it. My brains were blown. The turtles are bigger and bulkier than the cartoon days and they have a very hardcore, rough and tough persona about them. But I instantly fell in love again with Michaelangelo! Nobody can resist his humorous charm.

WHAT'S THE MOVIE ABOUT? - SPOILER ALERT
Set in New York City, TMNT is about teenage mutant ninja turtles (duh!) who are fighting the evil villian Shredder's Foot Clan - an organization structured to crush the people and take control as masters of the city. The turtles - Raphael, Michaelangelo, Donatello, and Leonardo - were a part of Project Renaissance. It was an experiment by scientist O'Neil and his partner Eric Sachs. They had created a mutagen that initiated cellular repair and was supposed to reverse the effects of any sort of chemical and biological warfare. It had been injected into tiny turtles and a lab rat, Splinter, who were pets of O'Neils little daughter, April. As Eric Sach sold himself to Shredder and planned to sell the mutagen, O'Neil found out. Sachs killed O'Neil and the lab caught fire. April was in time to rescue the turtles and Splinter and drop them in the sewer to safety. The mutagen worked and years later Master Splinter and the turtles established an HQ in the underground sewers where they trained to one day save NYC from Foot Clan. April became an unhappy, struggling news journalist. The story takes off when April meets the secret vigilantes and a battle against Shredder begins. Shredder wants the turtles for the mutagen which he will black market after he attacks NYC with chemicals.

FAVORITE SCENES FROM THE MOVIE



I seriously had some great laughs watching TMNT. So much that my childhood craze is back on and I got myself a TMNT t-shirt! Hashtag one crazy TMNT fangirl.

TMNT is about siblings, sticking together, and the power of a team. Of course, there is the good vs evil battle that is the stage of the movie. But, basically it is about the turtles - 4 brothers - realizing their potential of working together and defeating a stronger enemy. The movie is definitely an action comedy. It was so hilarious I was laughing to myself while I watched it. I am going to watch it again with my sister.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't watched this new adaptation, but it looks like a lot of fun!
    #weekendbloghop

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me Comments: