Friday, June 14, 2019

Abbie Reviews: Aladdin (2019) "We've Got Jams! Yes, Jams!"

*IT'S SHOWTIME* (SPOILER ALERT!)
It was somewhere past the mid of Ramadan season when Aladdin (2019) hit theatres. I was fasting and there's no joy in being at the movies without popcorn, okay! So, I waited --- waited patiently --- 
As soon as I was done celebrating the Eid festival, I rushed with Magic Carpet speed to the theatre to feast my eyes on this sensational Disney phenomenon that had taken the world by a storm.
The universe was split between critics (I seriously feel they need to get themselves medical attention!) and fans going insane. There had been wild speculation whether Will Smith would do the genie better than Robin Williams? There were doubts if the Egyptian newbie actor Mena Massoud would fit the Disney bill. And, if Naomi Scott would do justice to the strong-willed Jasmine. 
I was going MAD looking at the premiere festivities. I had followed the cast on social media and promotions were driving me nuts by the hour. Twitter was breaking! While the majority was loving it --- there were seriously weird comments circulating. Jaffar and the Sultan are invisible, no distinctive acting. Abu and the Magic Carpet were said to be falling short of character. My brains were a mess!
My opinion? --- I could NOT stop smiling for one second through this movie. From the instant it began, there was no dull moment. Thrill, drama, suspense, comedy, music, dance, romance --- one after another so much unfolded on screen before me! I was sucked into the parallel Disney universe as usual. 
One minute I was jumping through the streets and alleys of Agrabah with Aladdin and Jasmine, and the next minute I was flying through the landscapes with them on the Magic Carpet. One minute I was spellbound by the Cave of Wonders, and the next minute I was moved to giggles by the Genie of the Lamp. One instance I was despising the bond between the Sultan and Jaffar;  they shamed down Jasmine and her strong opinion, and the next instance I fell in love with Prince Ali / Aladdin who gave her the wings to fly.
Everything's been so perfectly recreated and improved to fit modern day demands of cultural and cinematic diversity! There's so much color to this movie, so much emotion, and so much meaning than the cartoon version.
Aladdin, to begin with, is costume and personality wise much better crafted. He's a smooth criminal! The acting is more believable, more strong on an emotional level. Mena Massoud has brought some seriously good acting to the Disney screen, let me tell you that. He's got this intense Bollywood feel going on about him. 
Naomi Scott's work as Princess Jasmine is super brilliant. She's broken all standards of comparison if you ask me. Unlike the cartoon character, Princess Jasmine of the movie Aladdin (2019) has a mission and vision not just to get married for love but to rule Agrabah as a wise, just Sultan. Yes! This girl wants to be queen for all the right reasons. 

OMG! Jafar, the royal vizier, has got to be one of my fav Disney villains. Marwan Kenzari is an amazing psychotic, power-obsessed Jafar! Wait till he starts becoming a total badass in the movie! Also, the Cobra staff is to die for! He is a lot more big in the movie than the cartoon original. This guy is planning wars and mass evil. 
Another aspect is the relationship between Jasmine and her Baba, the Sultan of Agrabah. There's a lot of good, wholesome conversation going on beyond the "when will you choose a suitor". Jasmin is into the politics and welfare of the people. She's brought more perspective from her visit to the marketplace than just meeting a boy from the market. She speaks about the people.
Aladdin (2019) is pure joy from the start to the finish. The Disney parade and Bollywood / Arabic fusion of dances and sequences will keep you spellbound. Keep moving your eyes around the screen to look at everything! Lanterns, carafes and kettles, ottomans and poufs, carpets with tassels, feathers and silk, color and glitter. There is so much going on. When they said "visually stunning" they really meant it.
I am not a fan of any of the Disney princes but I have brought back the fandom for Prince Ali! Majestic, stylish, intense, smooth, and incredibly goofy ... this guy takes away the limelight for sure. 
 Catch this wonder on screen while it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: