Thursday, April 12, 2018

K - Kitchen Hacks That Changed My Life

I was discarding milk dot on the best before date, the cilantro was turning into compost fertilizer (smelly as sewage!) in the produce drawer of my fridge, green onions were dying, and bananas were turning into blackened corpses. I took to the internet to find and test hacks that would rescue all the produce! Here are the tried and tested ones!
A MEDDLING EGG TO KEEP CILANTRO FRESH
The deal is... air dry your cilantro by laying it out on the counter and setting a fan on it. Pat dry with a dish towel, and place it an airtight container NOT a Ziploc bag. Put an egg (NOT BOILED) with the cilantro. Cover with a lid, make it all airtight. Store in a crisp produce drawer. Keep changing the egg with a fresh one every week, and the old egg's completely usable - you will not mutate into a ninja turtle, I promise! Cilantro will stay fresh and unspoiled for weeks. If you see moisture on the leaves, keep pat drying. 
SOLITARY CONFINEMENT FOR FARTING ORANGES
Oranges like farting. Yes, they emit this gas that ripens and rots other fruits and vegetables. Apples and cucumbers all die when oranges break wind. They should be stored in plastic bags and in separate drawers of the fridge.
PART MUMMIFIED BANANAS STAY FRESH LONGER
I have tested and approved this! But don't try getting 2 dozen bananas because this is not mummification. This is temporary extension of shelf life. Break bananas off from the bunch and aluminum foil wrap the stem where it was attached. Then wrap a cling wrap. Do not store with oranges. Use a plastic bag to keep them.
STORE GREEN ONIONS IN WATER
Add a cling wrap to the tops. And change water every couple of days. The green shoots will grow! Keep trimming, keep using! This looks like a terrarium in my fridge! The only green thumb I have ever exhibited after killing my hydrangeas!
RUBBER GLOVES FOR JAMMED LIDS!
Pickle jars, juice bottles, jam bottles, etc. etc. etc.
These hacks changed my life - speaking in a TV ad testimonial tone - Seriously! I intend to do some more tests and trials. Until next year then ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: