Monday, July 17, 2017

A Fancy Wedding Weekend

I was at the Gaylord National Harbor Convention Center for a family wedding; my first cousin tied the knot this year, and I can say that it has got to be the most beautiful wedding venue I have seen so far. I have attended weddings at the Hilton, Holiday Inn, the Waterford, and the Argyle Country Club (another cosy, beautiful favorite). The Riverview Ballroom at Gaylord overlooked a beautiful sunset upon the Potomac River waterfront. The Capital Wheel - a lit up ferris wheel - came to life as night fell. The venue was beautiful in daylight, and transformed to majestic by night. The gold and red color schemes were traditional Pakistani as chosen by my aunt and uncle.
PLAY VIDEO 

A post shared by The Abbie (@abbiesadventures) on
Appetizers were outside the ballroom, spread out in a gallery terrace overlooking the waterfront and the Capital wheel. I am a big fan of live cooking and that's exactly what the buffet service was like (video above). There was a Gol Guppa counter, a barbecue and snacks counter; serving grilled shrimp, chicken, chaat, and aloo tikki, and a dessert counter with appealing jalebis and kheer.
The foodie that Sara is! She spotted the Gol Guppay and there was a mandatory Gol Guppa selfie video session that took place right there. It is a skill! - to eat Gol Guppay - without messing up that lipstick and we are queens at pulling that off!

Being the bride's immediate family puts you in this special limelight. You get the best seats, the best view of the front and center of the wedding. I thoroughly enjoyed my evening sitting right besides the glass wall.
The ice sculpture was a showstopper. There were glitter filled gold stars inside which started shedding glitter as the evening progressed and the sculpture melted. And, here are photos of the wedding cake.
A post shared by The Abbie (@abbiesadventures) on


A post shared by The Abbie (@abbiesadventures) on
Outfit of the day was this magnificent Eastern Pishwas dress that has got to be the most fancy bridal dress of my wardrobe. It is very heavy from the pearl and metallic wire embroidery on it. For a wedding of close kin and a venue this fancy, I decided to put my best foot forward. P.S. Both my feet are best *winks* I was highly uncomfortable wearing this and the jewelry accompaniments but it won so many compliments from so many guests. I had this dress made in Karachi when my brother was getting married. It has rocked so many weddings since. This was definitely the 3rd time that I have worn this superb piece of fashion. I must get more of these made on my following trips to Karachi or else people would this is my wedding attendance uniform. 

A post shared by The Abbie (@abbiesadventures) on

PLAY VIDEO 

A post shared by The Abbie (@abbiesadventures) on

A smaller, yet colorful and loud musical, affair was the pre-wedding celebration - the Mehendi at Washingtonian Marriott. It was very festive and typically Pakistani in terms of decor, colors, and food. We even got bangles for favors how cool is that?

PLAY VIDEO 

A post shared by The Abbie (@abbiesadventures) on
Sm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: