Saturday, August 18, 2012

Moon Wars Anyone?

Ramadan is coming to and end and today was one of those skeptical days when people sight the moon. If you see it, you stop fasting and celebrate the morning after, and if you don't, you fast another day and celebrate the following day. Simple!
Now, you don't simply just go out and check out the dusk skies for the new crescent. It doesn't show itself too easily. So some see it, some don't and so there are different days of celebration in different parts of the world. We didn't see it in north America, so we're celebrating Eid (the festival) on Sunday. I could use another day to plan the festivities and the Eid menu!
The Empire State Building in New York is shining green lights on the tower to honor Eid-al-Fitr. That would look so cool, now I wish to go to New York for the weekend.
I have a dilemma ... Eid means putting on a new outfit and I have yet to get something out of my closet. My girlfriends are putting up similar dilemmas on their Facebook status updates. I am remembering Chaand Raat (night of the Eid moon) in Karachi. The ladies were always grabbing last minute bangles to match their outfits and getting their hands painted with henna.
I miss henna! The girls who did henna back in Karachi were experts, and my hands always looked gorgeous on Eid day. I shall be doing henna at home this year.
In the buzz of festivity and celebration, the spirit of charity is obligatory and Eid day begins with giving charity, called sadqatul fitr. This is why we are created, to help those in need. There are people out there who cannot afford what we can. Eid is about giving thanks to the Lord for the blessings we enjoy and to empathize with those who have been gifted much less. People become overly extravagant in celebrating Eid which means that they hog up multiple, expensive dresses and jewelry. The celebration days are three and you don't have to buy an entire line of designer wear to change a dress every hour for 72 hours, seriously! I am keeping it simple.
I shall be posting my Chaand Raat adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: