Saturday, April 8, 2017

Voices! Voices!



This Spring (2017) I am committing to handwritten snippets of poetry wherever I can find the space to write. Letters and Pieces (2017) is a 30 poem collection written impromptu (according to prompts given by NaPoWriMo.net) throughout the month of April (2017) for National Poetry Writing Month. As days go by, the Index for Letters and Pieces will grow.

Day 08: Today's poem is - prompted by NaPoWriMo.net "write a poem that relies on repetition. It can be repetition of a phrase, or just a word. Need a couple of examples? Try “The Bells” by Edgar Allan Poe, or Joy Harjo’s “She Had Some Horses”. Poe’s poem creates a relentless, clanging effect through the repetition of the word “bells,” while Harjo’s repeated use of the phrase “she had some horses” and variations thereof gives her poem poem its incantatory effect, while also deepening its central philosophical conceit of what things are the same and what things are different."
I was inspired to write 'Voices' with the repetition Voices! Voices! and my inspiration came from a Netflix show I was watching. A high school teen was experiencing voices in the head and nightmares after listening to the tapes recorded by his friend who committed suicide. The series is based on high school bullying and it reminded me of the bullying I went through myself. So I chose to write with a graphite pencil on a notebook paper - just like high school when a pen and paper were my only friends.

1 comment:

  1. I love this so much!
    This has to be my favorite one from you this month so far :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me Comments: