Friday, March 8, 2019

Introducing Potterhead Chronicles #PotterChron


Let us begin by talking about the Harry Potter fandom and how I was pulled into the wizarding world. I officially became a Potterhead in 1999, exactly 20 years from now, when the Prisoner of Azkaban was published. Of course, little did the world know that the wizarding world would evolve as a parallel universe for fans around the globe (now called Potterheads!). The third book had taken bookstores in London by a storm and my father happened to run into the bestseller phenomenon while on a work trip. He bought The Philosopher's Stone, The Chamber of Secrets, and The Prisoner of Azkaban, and the young adult world's most brilliant literary masterpiece made it to my hands in Karachi city where I lived at the time. 

In 1999, the literature scene in Karachi was beginning to prosper, but the gems of the book world were limited to exclusive book stores. We were still alien to book launches and literary fandoms like today's times. So, only true booklovers got a whiff of J.K. Rowling's magic. I lived in a painfully Muggle world with no friends to share the joy of being a witch! Yes, I had converted to one and carried a Hogwarts crest sketch in my wallet. *Salute* I was a nerdy thirteen year old that found everything in Rowling's magical fantasy world. There was friendship, acceptance, adventure, bravery, and a sense of belongingness in every volume.

Most certainly I was front and center when the cinematic debut Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) was announced in 2000. Nobody among my friends knew about the books and the "crazy cornerstone" of the class became "the girl who knew" Harry Potter.


Life hit me square in the face --- "Dementor! Dementor!" --- with academic and personal complications! I left off my reading after getting through with The Order of the Phoenix as I dived with all blood and guts to find the right career choice, fight a very corrupt education system (one too many Dolores Umbridges!), change some major life goals, and deal with body issues and emotional catastrophes (social bullying, family drama, dishonest relationships). I remained true to the fandom though and watched all the movies as they hit the CDs. Sara, my sister, read through the rest of the books and kept me updated with the progression of the story. 

And then, as if I found my Patronus! Life changed as quick as the flip of a coin! I finished business school and finally moved to my home on the East Coast (Maryland) in the United States in 2010. It was a golden strike of fate because Universal opened the gates to the The Wizarding World of Harry Potter right there on the East Coast in Orlando, Florida! I took it as a sign of sheer good luck! But it was not until the Thanksgiving break of next year (2011) when we finally set foot into the place of our dreams. I embarked on a 'Business school MBA degree' rollercoaster ride meanwhile.


Sara and I began the Potterhead adventures in our new lives with The Harry Potter Exhibition in New York City! Memories were made. We knew this was the life that had been waiting for us! Finally, for Sara's 21st birthday we headed to the Wizarding World together for the first time and cried magical, emotional tears upon seeing the Hogwarts Express (engine only! at Hogsmeade's entrance). Ever since then we returned every year to the cobbled stone streets, the towering Hogwarts castle, and (adding to the magic) the Diagon Alley and the majestic, fiery Ukranian Ironbelly breathing fire on top of Gringotts Bank! As we grew, the parks grew, the fandom grew, and the Wizarding World became the utopian parallel universe every Potterhead became proud of co-existing in.


By 2016, we had both graduated - Sara from business school and me from my MBA - and we had settled into our professional lives as newbie business ladies as well. It was time to embrace the Potterhead madness full on, with nothing pulling me! It was time to embrace the Potterhead phenomenon and incorporate it into every aspect of our lives. We went on a mad shopping spree and Potter-ified our lifestyles.

Today, Sara and I call ourselves the female equivalent of the Weasley twins. Hand in hand, we have visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter more than 4 times already! We've shared numerous frozen Butterbeers, cried insane tears upon revisiting our magical universe, and continue to collect the Harry Potter merch. Our rooms are Wizarding World shrines, our wearables boast HP pride, and our only dream now is to own an independent home that we can decorate along Potterhead madness (eyes on the Pottery Barn home decor line!). Today, those who know us know that we are serious Potterheads! We make heads turn with our HP outfits and wearables at Universal! Potterheads approach us often, in malls and grocery stores, because we wear our pride.


Sara and I have decided to take our madness a step forward and add to the creative expression. Potterhead Chronicles are now being tweeted at @PotterChron. It is a profile separate from our individual accounts as bloggers: @theabbies and @sara_allie We're both hobby bloggers and we blog about Harry Potter a lot. 

POTTERCHRON GOALS

  • Engage with Potterheads anywhere, and everywhere on social media, and make friends.
  • Share Wizarding World news, and stay up to date with it as well.
  • Share our Potterhead lifestyle and celebrate our love for the Wizarding World.
  • Introduce blogging / social media prompts, trends, and tags.
Follow @PotterChron on Twitter!
Follow #PotterheadChronicles on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: