Saturday, May 26, 2012

Road Trip II: Driving to Hartford, CT

My family and I took the New Jersey Turnpike (NJTP) to New Jersey, in transit to New York City. Next, we took the awfully crowded George Washington Bridge to get on route to New York upstate and then drove into Connecticut. That is one mighty 11 hour road trip with two stopovers for lunch and coffee.

The last that we had driven down the super long NJTP was in March when we drove to New York City. The Turnpike has rest stops, named after famous people, located throughout all the way to NYC. Last time we had stopped over at the Woodrow Wilson rest area. For your information and mine, Woodrow Wilson was the 28th president of the USA. 

This time we chose James Fenimore Cooper which is before Woodrow Wilson. Cooper was a famous 19th century American writer known for his novels and sea stories. I have read The Last of the Mohicans from Cooper's works. 


It was a pretty brilliant novel that I had gotten hold of in 8th grade and I had shared the experience with a classmate who had borrowed the book from the school's library before I did. It was one of those old school classics that sort of reminded me of Tarzan in some ways, but better.


The NJTP is also called the death of all toll stations because it has no tolls on the way. The NJTP Authority charges $13 something when you get to NYC for using the highway. That's pretty less, considering the tolls we keep paying for using highways in Baltimore to Philadelphia to Delaware. 

It had been almost 3.5 hours of driving when I got to NYC and I was craving coffee by all means. We stopped by at Vince Lombardi, the last rest area, named after the American football coach. 

Guess what? No coffee!

I take that as a bad omen ...

Adventure continues ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Comments: